[filmscanners] Re: Video card for imaging

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:12:52 -0500, "Owen P. Evans" <opevans@istar.ca>
wrote:

>Hi Dan,
>Unlike Tony, I am using a Matrox G450 ( current card is a G550) with great
>success. My buddy uses a G400 with great success. These are dual monitor
>cards.We both work with 48 bit scans and our res is set to; 1152 x 864. I
>use a laptop CRT for now as the second PS Tools monitor so I can't tell you
>about the resolution on the second screen. My buddy uses two crts (Viewsonic
>PF 795 & a 15 inch for PS Tools) and his images are sharp on both.
>That said, I just tried 1600 x 1200 and the resolution is poor.
>This is on an XP system with a Viewsonic PF790 crt
>So you should pursue the dual G200 cards if it works as well as Tony says.
>Owen

We meet again, Dan :-)

I'm the friend Owen just mentioned.  As he said, I'm using a G400 dual
head.  It's supporting a 19" PF795 Viewsonic set to 1280x1024 and an old 17
inch Trinitron (Dell OEM) set to 1152x864 for PS tools.  I've had no driver
problems under either 98SE or XP, and the main image is at least as sharp
as anything else I've ever used.

I'm not sure why one would use older cards instead of newer ones, given the
probability of support issues as they age further.  In addition, the idea
of using two PCI slots instead of one AGP slot with a dual-head card just
doesn't make intuitive sense to me.  I certainly haven't seen any
performance or quality issues that would push me in that direction.

Paul Chefurka