[filmscanners] Re: Defective Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II: update :-((

al@greenspace.freeserve.co.uk schrieb:

> I've just got an Elite II and have been checking the deep shadows for
> issues, particularly the red channel banding.  I have noticed something
> very odd.  A straight scan (with or without ICE) shows red channel
> banding identical to what Ralf got along with some "telephone wires".
> However, when GEM is enabled, the banding pretty well disappears.
> And it also looks like some of the the other CCD anomalies like the
> "telephone wires" also improve or disappear.

Hi again,

with my defective Elite II I used GEM once at the default value of 50. I
hadn't noticed the banding then, so I can't tell whether it was present
or not, but at the value of 50 I noticed *huge* "averaging" of the
colors, just a bit like Gaussian blur would cause it. That softening
effect may well have evened out the banding.

> This seems to suggest that the banding (or lack of it with GEM) is not
> caused by any change in scanning speed (or anything else mechanical)
> but by a glitch in the calibration, which doesn't occur with GEM.  Or
> alternatively, the algorithms in GEM are just good at cleaning up these
> sort of deep shadow problems......

You may find out by using GEM at a very low value (1 instead of the
default 50). If it is the cleaning effect of GEM, a value of 1 should
leave more of the banding than a value of 50. If it is just a matter of
the calibration data being re-written, the banding should be gone even
at a value of 1 (which I doubt will remove any grain at all).

> I suspect the issue is faulty calibration by the software (maybe made
> worse by poor QC) rather than it being purely hardware.  Could well be
> good hardware let down by buggy software or firmware.

I may be mistaken but as far as I know *every* CCD unit would be
"faulty" in the sense of showing off "telephone wires" without prior
calibration. What I am not sure of is, for example, if a single CCD
pixel lost "efficiency" in the sense of electrical response to light
exposition (as a result of aging, dirt, you name it), whether or not the
Minolta Software would be able to correct this properly.

> I haven't reached any conclusions yet whether what I've seen will
> constitute real problems in normal scans.  Certainly, using GEM and x4
> multiscanning on one of my (underexposed) slides I use as a test and
> pulling up the shadows, the result was far better than my old Elite.

If GEM, at a low setting that does not affect the overall appearance of
a picture, would be able to completely remedy the banding/"telephone
wire" issue, this might be a way out. I'll hopefully be able to try for
myself next week. If the price for getting rid of the banding is having
the image dramatically softened due to a high GEM setting, there will be
another Elite II on its way back to Minolta, and a Nikon LS-40 will take
its place :-))

> Incidentally, it doesn't look like the current support for the scanner in
> the latest version of Vuescan incorporates calibration routines.  Pity
> really, as this would help clarify whether the hardware or the Minolta
> software is the issue.

But it would be interesting if the banding issue exists at all with
Vuescan. If Vuescan has the functionality of getting at least a raw scan
out of the Elite II, I'd be most interested in the results regarding the
problems discussed.

So long -

Ralf

--
My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net
Find my PGP keys (RSA and DSS/DH) on PGP key servers