From: "Ezio c/o TIN" <ezio.lucenti1@tin.it>
To: <ezio.lucenti1@tin.it>
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 1:01 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Building PC system for image editing

Alex ... first of all you will find as many opinion about the best as many
users you will contact .... ;o) ... he he he !
Second ... I have developped my OPTIMAL SYSTEM in the past 12 years of self
assembling ... all my friends have systems builded by myself ... and in
house I have 3 systems interconnected (mainly used by kids to play video
games and myself to play with digital imaging and digital audio).

1. Memory. I understand this is the most important resource for image
processing. I'm planning to start from 512 MB

Well done ! ... that is barely enough ... for scanning purposes .
In facts 2700dpi from a film are almost 30MB ... multiplied many times (as
Photoshop does ... ) + other system stuff = 256 MB + some room for the ease
.

2. Processor. I think I would opt for something like P4 1.6-1.7 GHz
which sounds to be enough given there will be no serious constraints on the
memory amount. What about AMD Ahtlon ?

I strongly push for AMD processors ... I have those ONLY at home (3 systems)
and no problems nor with Photoshop and neither with Wavelab by Steinberg
neither with the most demanding and intriguing video games.... very cheap ,
very fast , very powerful and very stable .... ON APPRPRIATE MOTHERBOARD
!!!!!!!!!!! be careful only few vendors of MB are ... STABLE ... I suggest
ASUS A7V266 coupled with AMD 1.7GHz (PIII clone and more)

3. As about HDD I think there is no too much choices to contemplate about.
   The bigger, faster and reliable is better. Depends on the local market
offerings. BTW, should I pay more for SCSI interface ?
What is RAID ? Any opinions about it ?

SCSI U-160 for SURE ... and lately there are on eBay good auctions for SCSI
RAID boards available for 50$ (I've bought a couple of them!!! ... MYLEX
ACCELERAID 250 )
SCSI because it's FASTER and working with many I/O at the same time .... IT
IS NOT MORE EXPENSIVE as you think ... I have already bought (for my new
system ) 4 x IBM SCSI-3 18GB 10000rpm 4MB cache at 90$ EACH !!! under IBM
warranty (3 years) sealed packs .... on eBay of course !
IDE is good for CD-R ... quite good ... because you will have troubles to
find CD-Rs SCSI these days ... and in this case the SCSI devices are owfully
more expensive than IDE ... so TAKE IDE for SLOW devices to SAVE on the
total system budget.

4. Display card. Which one would you recommend ? (not necessarily to be the
most expensive though...)
Take a GTS2 nVidia today available at less than 150$ (64MB DDR) ... I use an
ELSA 64MB DDR GTS2 since 2 years ago .... and today are available GTS3 but
they cost 500$ list and 300$ on eBay ... abd such a power is required by
gaming only not by Photoshop !

5. CD-RW. Are there DVD-RW available for PC installation ?
   Are they worth the expense ?

I use 2 x MITSUMI 8x4x24 2 years old ... I have burnt more than 1,000 CD-Rs
flawless (I have told you I am playing with music ! ... ) they costed 2
years ago 120$ each and are good as the much more expensive Plextor , TDK or
other ! ...
CD-Rs are required for archiving purposes and almost compulsory .
I suggest MITSUMI (the new models ) on eBay (they have a lousy distribution
and thus are easier and cheaper to find on eBay ....) many other available ,
but DO NOT BUDGET more than 150$ each ... they are just like those
expensive.
Put them IDE not to slow down your SCSI chain and not to spend a fortune !

SCSI board CHEAP ! to attach the scanners ... must be added. 2904 or similar
by ADAPTEC (I have a 2940 I have paid 150$ 3 years ago ... but there are
available 2940UW2 on eBay for less than 200$.

This is almost the system I would build for a friend .... I cannot say it is
the fastest , but I am almost sure it is among the best as price/performance
ratio.

Sincerely.

Ezio

www.lucenti.com  e-photography site