[filmscanners] Tips needed on difficult scan

HI folks -

I'm still working away here, improving my understanding and
techniques.  Since the addition of histograms to Vuescan, I've been
trying to utilize them some, but remain somewhat confused, as I'm just
starting to get a grasp of the ones in PS Elements, which have 3
sldiers, and input and output controls.

I have a slide that I've been spending hours trying to yield what I
can see through the loupe on the light table, but it's evading me.
It's a very high contrast sunset shot taken on Velvia, with one side
very dark under dense clouds, and the opposite side has brilliant -
one might say "blown out" - area of sunlight.  Along the bottom of the
photo is a lot of city detail, seen from above - I was shooting from
up in the hills overlooking SF Bay.  It was taken with a sharp lens,
so the detail is there, and I'd like to retrieve it.

My main problem has been trying to bring out all the detail in the
city - which is in the relatively dark area of the photo.
Secondarily, the finding a contrast range that doesn't blow out the
sunlit areas too severely, while not darkeneing the shadows too much.

But what I'd like help with is how to utilize the Vuescan histograms
to achieve this.  Needless to say, upon initial scan at the default
white and black points of 1, the histograms go off the scale at either
end.  What general guidelines should I use for trying setting that
will bring the contrast range within the scale?  And what effect do
the color balance settings have on the effectiveness of the black and
white point settings?

Thanks for any lights, and if seeing an example of this particular
scan would be helpful,  I can supply.

Ken Durling

Photo.net portfolio:

http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=402251