From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Ralf Schmode
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2001 4:03 PM
To: alexz@zoran.co.il
Subject: [filmscanners] Warning and huge disappointment: Minolta Scan
Elite II shadow banding

Hi everybody,

after a week of relaxation in Denmark I was looking forward to receiving
my brand new Minolta Scan Elite II today. It installed with no problem,
and the scans looked good - at first sight. Unfortunately, one of the
pics had what I thought was a huge horizontzal scratch. Okay, this thing
really must be *huge* if ICE didn't get a hold on it. So I had the
scanner eject the film strip and looked for the scratch. Unfortunately,
I found none. This was when I realized I had a little more of a
problem...

Please have a look at http://schmode.net/banding.jpg (the slide isn't
sharp but it shows the effect). I have used excessive gamma to bring out
the problem. This is definitely not on the film, it is caused by the
scanner. There is no difference to this effect as to ICE being in use or
not, which is clear because there is no defect on the film for ICE to
address.

I am deeply disappointed of what Minolta dare to offer to their
customers. Fortunately enough, I sorted out with the dealer *before*
ordering that I might return the unit in exchange for a Nikon LS-40 if
not satisfied which, as you will believe me, is the case. I'll probably
address Minolta directly on this issue and I'd advise anyone using or
considering the purchase of that scanner to be extremely careful in that
respect.

Greetings from Germany -

Ralf

--
My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net
Find my PGP keys (RSA and DSS/DH) on PGP key servers