filmscanners: VueScan 7.3.5 color space bug?

On 12/17/01 3:47 AM, EdHamrick@aol.com <EdHamrick@aol.com>, wrote:

>I just released VueScan 7.3.5 for Windows, Mac OS 8/9/X
>and Linux.

>  * Added separate color spaces for Monitor and Files

Thanks, Ed.  This seems like a good interim solution, until VueScan gets
real color management.  But I think there may be a bug in there.  I set
up 7.3.5 to display images in Apple RGB, and to save files in Adobe RGB.
The file images, when opened up in Photoshop, are significantly darker
than VueScan's preview and scan displays.

The difference was much less when I was using version 7.3.4.  Recall that
with 7.3.4 (and its single "Color space" setting) I was using Apple RGB
and gamma 1.8 while adjusting color tab settings, and switching to Adobe
RGB and gamma 2.2 just before doing the final scan to file.

I have some sample images which demonstrate that 7.3.5 is actually worse
than 7.3.4, at least for the above combination of color spaces.

<http://julianv.home.mindspring.com/color_test/color_test_1.html>

and

<http://julianv.home.mindspring.com/color_test/color_test_2.html>

The behavior in 7.3.5 might be explained if you are (incorrectly) setting
gamma 2.2 when Apple RGB is selected for "Monitor color space."

--
Julian Vrieslander <mailto:julianv@mindspring.com>

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.