filmscanners: Newbie Questions?

Happy Holidays Folks,

1) How does the latest generations of Nikon scanners compare to the latest
but inexpensive services of a custom lab generating a PRO PHOTO CD of
4000dpi--both 35mm and MF?

2) Which yields the maximum information to digital via very good to high
quality scanning (dmax > 3.2)--slide or print film? I know print film is more
easily scanned by flat bed devices?

3) What list do I go to get answers to such questions as "How do I correct a
facial portrait taken with a normal lens to make it seem as if it were taken
by a longer portrait lens?" or "How do I correct for light fall off in my
extreme wide angle shots?"

4) When will pro labs offer Photo CDs for 35mm slide and MF slides and
negative development? This has already become ubiquitous for 35mm color print
film.

5) In the case of color print Picture CDs, the initial information captured
has the advantage of being FREE of any scratches or dust--assuming a
competent lab. Could this initial 1000dpi/3-5 meg file act as a base to be
"compiled" against a subsequent, high rez scan (4000dpi +) to remove any
later scratches or dust found?

Thanks.

Alex

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.