Re: filmscanners: VueScan Histogram

Ed wrote:

> I think the best way to do this is for me to just add a histogram and
> then evolve it using people's suggestions.
>
> It's quite possible that a simple histogram of the preview (within
> the crop window) and the scan will be good enough.  I can worry
> about fancy stuff like movable sliders later.

Ed, I've got 7.3.4 and have been trying out the histogram function and I am
sure this is going to save me a lot of time.

One thing that has struck me is that one may be able to use the 'Prev Hist' and
'Scan Hist' as before and after histograms if the preview and scan are set to
the same resolution.  This might be of help in guesstimating the numbers to
enter as B/W points.  It may also be useful in understanding how changes in
settings affect the image.

I know the above is very much 'by the numbers' rather than being focused (oops,
no pun intended) on the image but I do agree with Maris saying 'I want a good
image, not a good histogram'.  My point is, Ed has given us a tool which helps
our scanning and also helps in understanding the effect of adjusting all those
options he tries to confuse me with ;)

Thanks very much for the histograms Ed.

Bob
looking for 7.3.5