RE: filmscanners: Scanning large quantities of slides...

Ron--
Digital ICE works well on many if not most Kodachrome slides. What happens
is that when there is a lot of cyan content, Digital ICE sometimes gives
unpredictable results. Of course, any dark part of the image will have a lot
of cyan. What happens is that you loose high frequency detail. White
lettering on a dark background becomes fuzzy. To get around this, you can
scan the image twice, once with Digital ICE on and once with it off. Then
depending on the image, combine the images on different layers (an image
with a lot of cyan content should go on top, an image with a lot of defects
should go on top). Then erase the top layer reveling the image below.

The Acer 2740 S is a very good, inexpensive scanner that can scan four
slides at once. That may not be much consolation when you have hundreds, but
it is an option.

Good luck.

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction