Re: filmscanners: Sprintscan 120 problems - negs

I have had my SprintScan for about a month and have seen similar problems,
especially super graininess and posterization of the shadows in shots taken
with Kodak Portra 160NC. This is especially true with the Polaroid Insight
software.

I upgraded SilverFast to AI 5.5 with Nega Fix, and is does quite a bit
better job, but not always great. Be especially careful to specify flesh
tones if they are present, otherwise you get grainy posterized orange cheeks
in Caucasian skin.

If you scan as raw color slide, 16bit (or HDR 48 bit color in Silverfast),
and then undo the orange mask yourself in Photoshop, you will not see this
posterization--so I think it is an artifact of the algorithms used to undo
the negative mask.

I undo the orange mask by going into levels and adjusting the black and
white points separately for R, G and B, and then inverting. After that I
usually go into curves and increase the contrast by shaping an "S" curve.

By the way, do you find that you have to flatten the negatives to be able to
see uniform grain? The only negatives I have that scan well have been
sitting in a notebook for about a month and are very flat. Fresh negatives
don't scan well.

Mark Davison
Seattle Washington, USA