Re: filmscanners: Nikon Scan DOES Vary LED Brightness

I have watched this thread with my own slight sense of disbelief - ISTM
that it makes no difference at all whether the LED brightness or
integration time is changed.  There is no difference in changing
integration time or brightness to change what Nikon call "analog gain"
except for second order effects on noise performance.

If I was designing the thing, I would use a combination of both.  Normal
gain would use the LED's at their maximum long-term brightness level - to
give shortest possible scan time.

- Any *reduction* in "analog gain" would be by decreasing LED brightness
from that point or decreasing amplifier gain, so the scan time would
not  change.
- Any *increase* in "analog gain" would be by increasing integration time,
thus increasing scan time but not increasing LED brightness or analog gain
beyond the normal maximum.  This might fit with Jawed's observations
although I take Ed's point that I don't know how you can tell whether an
apparent brightness change is due to actual brightness change or change in
the duty cycle of the LED (to accommodate changed integration times).

But really I don't see why we are even thinking about this  - the fact is
that the gain should be defined from optical input (i.e. film density) to
volts out, and will be changed the same, irrespective of whether light
brightness or integration time (or for that matter amplifier gain as Austin
was wondering, but this would make a mess noise-wise with higher gain) are
changed.

As an aside, if I were trying to write a manual to be used by
photographically knowledgeable but not electronic knowledgeable people I
would say that "analog gain varies the LED brightness" because this EXACTLY
describes the effective situation and is all you need to know in order to
use the control properly.  It seems that I agree with Nikon on this.

Julian

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.