Re: filmscanners: Pattern with Minolta Scan Multi

on 11/24/01 1:26 PM, Robert Meier wrote:

> Well, it seems everybody agrees that these are Newton Rings.

Well, I'll be the outsider and say I don't think those are Newton Rings. ;-)

First thing I'd do is scan the same neg. w/o using the glass carrier, all
else the same. Let's determine that it is a function of the glass in the
first place.

Second, I'd like to know if the glass is or is not anti-Newton glass. To my
eye it looks more like the subtle texture of anti-Newton glass being
revealed in the scan. If it is anti-Newton glass, which is designed to
reduce such rings, logic tells me it's more likely it's own surface than the
rings such texture is there to reduce. OTOH, if it's not anti-Newton glass,
logic tells me it would be more likely to be rings than a texture one has no
right to expect to see, since it's not there. ;-)

Todd

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.