RE: filmscanners: VueScan and highlight/shadow pixel clipping--why? (SS4000)

Can I suggest you scan the slide using the following settings:

Device tab:
Media type: Image

Color tab:
Color balance: None

Use an up-to-date version of Vuescan, as I believe Ed has corrected problems
with the shape of the curve that the software uses to extract shadow detail.
Unfortunately I don't normally scan slides, but you should find this
suggestion provides you with absolutely no clipping.

Note that Color balance: None prevents you from entering black and white
point percentages.  This is intentional.

By definition there is no gamma setting that can cause clipping (though
setting gamma to 9.9 will make your histogram look pretty bad!), so feel
free to play with the gamma until the image has the balance you like.

Hopefully the more experience slide-scanners round here will come to the
rescue, soon!

(Hope I've remembered all the settings to make this work for you...)

Jawed

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.