Re: filmscanners: Canon 4000 scanner VS Nikon LS4000

Hi Tomasz,

I missed this thread and I answer only because I have a Microtek Artixscan
4000T and it seems that this is not very frequent in the list. I cannot
compare to other brand scanners, because this is my first scanner and I
never saw another. This is the second 4000T that I own. The first had a
serious problem during warranty and  I got this one as a replacement. I had
to wait about six months and I only managed to get the replacement after
serious trouble and with the help of a consumer rights organism. In my
country (Portugal) the filmscanner's market is very reduced and, at that
time, Polaroid was much more expensive.

I chose the Microtek because I thought that, having a distributor in my
country this would be better in case the scanner would have a problem. The
only positive aspect was that, as the reseller was in Portugal, I could ask
for the help from the consumer rights organism in my country. When I
searched in the net the Microtek's sites I saw (only after asking by email,
which I think is a little strange) that the reseller in  my country had
changed. None of them was a big company and I suspected that I cannot trust
so much in Microtek distribution partners and that Microtek is not very
exigeant in this field.

My second Microtek had a problem in the second day  -- the power button
froze (happily it is always ON, so I connect and disconnect directly with
the power cable). With former experience, I didn't even thought about ask
for a new replacment. In Microtek quality control I cannot trust, but it
would be unfair not to say that I read similar stories about all the other
brands.

It seems that now Polaroid prices in other countries are very nive. Also
there is a person from Polaroid in this list that offers much help (I think
that this is very important). If I had to buy another scanner, surely I
would ask if I could have a good technical support if I  purchase it in
another country.

As to the scan's quality (slides and now B&W) I am very satisfied. I posted
something in this list about serious retouching needs (SS4000 and Microtek
4000T don't have IR channel) that is not right (I was biased, confusing some
things and not applying the correct technics).
I told what happened to me and I hope it will be of some help in your
choice. Good luck! (it is a very important side of the problem ...).

Mário Teixeira
mjteixeira@yahoo.com