RE: filmscanners: Best solution for HD and images

> on 11/11/01 10:21 PM, Austin Franklin at darkroom@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
> >> the limit of a 32bit PCI bus at 133MHz (but still in the limits of an
> >> Adaptec 29160 controller)
> >
> > The standard PCI bus is 33 MHz (or 66MHz), NOT 133MHz.  Perhaps you mean
> > 132M BYTES/sec?  Even at that, you can't get near %80 of that, if you're
> > lucky.  132M bytes/sec is the burst rate.  There is substantial
> overhead on
> > the PCI bus that lowers that substantially.
> >
> Actually, he did not say "standard", and the current PCI standard _is_ 133
> MHz. 33 MHz is ancient technology, 66 MHz is antique technology,
> 100 MHz is
> yesterday's news, and 133 MHz is the current defacto PCI standard.

Er, no.  The PCI bus is ONLY spec'd for 33Mhz, and 66Mhz, and 66MHz is
hardly ancient, as it's only in the past year that 66MHz slots have been
readily available on PCs.

It is PCI-X that is spec'd for higher speeds, currently 66/100MHz, and no
one has any 133MHz operation as far as I know.  The last time I looked, no
current system boards (from say Tyan, ASUS etc.) are available that support
PCI-X.  Also, the last time I looked at the Adaptec web site, they did NOT
have a PCI-X RAID card (or even a controller chip) available...that's how
"ancient" the technology is!

The Adaptec 29160 is certainly NOT PCI-X anyway, it is ONLY 64 bit/32 bit
PCI compatible.  That is what card was referenced above, and what was being
referred to.  The PCI-X product lines from Adaptec will be Ultra 320 at this
point, and I'd say they are about a year away.

And, yes, (I don't mean to sound obnoxious) I also know PCI very, very well
too.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.