Re: filmscanners: Slide scanner question.

I know about conflicting answers ...

currently I have  Photosmart that seems to work ok, but not good on sunset
and a bit dark images.. subject in the slides

So I have a question for you to ponder.

 I am looking for a new scanner and have narrowed it down to three options.

they are .

Nikon LS IV  2900DPI with Digital ICE, ROC and Gem software  approx $750.00
http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/CSIV/C4A.HTM

Nikon Supercoolscan 2000 2700 DPI with ICE, ROC and GEM software multipass
scanning  approx. $750.00
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/LS2K/LS2KA.HTM

Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 multipass scanning and higher resolution and
silverfast software  around $699.00 with a $200.00 rebate
http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/SS4000/SS40A.HTM

any thoughts?

not going to print them, yet, just scan and post on web and other things...

=======================

> Hi Eric;
> You're going to get conflicting answers from different folks on this list.
> have the SS4000 and love it and I wouldn't consider the other two for my
> purposes. If you think you may want to crop your images and you want to be
> able to make the largest prints you can out of the resulting file, you
will
> want the most resolution you can get. Every thing else being equal, 4000
dpi
> beats 2700 dpi for file size every time. You no doubt know that Polaroid
has
> filed chapter 11. You have to make your own judgement relative to that.
I've
> had my SS4000 for a year and a half and made hundreds of scans with great
> results and no problems. For me, ICE is a non issue because with the
SS4000,
> I wouldn't use it if I had it. If you have scratched slides or work in a
> dusty environment, you experience might be different. Oh yes, I sell fine
> art nature and wild life prints so I'm a little fussy.  Regards, Ron
Carlson

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.