Re: filmscanners: Multiple passes

> Someone feel like expounding briefly on the multiple pass technique?
> I'm using Vuescan and a FS2710, slides and both color and B&W negs.
> What is the purpose and what determines the number of passes you set?
> I tried a couple at 2 passes, and saw no noticeable effect, although
> I'm not at all sure what I'm looking for.

I've noticed a significant improvement in shadow noise on my FS2710 since I
started using the multiple pass technique. Check yourself by scanning a
slide with an area of deep shadow and look to see if there are stray pixels
of green and red in the dark area where they should not be, this is noise.
Now scan the same slide with 3-4 passes, they should now disappear.

I believe the scanner makes several passes and averages the results thus
eliminating the noise, (I could be wrong).
--

Regards

Richard

 | @ @ ------->>> Richard <soho@eircom.net>