Re: filmscanners: Pixels per inch vs DPI

As usual, you've pulled another "Austin".

I'm going to take this step by step, so that you don't have the wriggle
room that you usually try to create for yourself.

I arrived in this discussion after you stated that in was not possible
to get acceptable photo results from 100 dpi input, and I stated that
the HP Photosmart printer used 100 to 150 dpi input on a 300 dpi output
system which took advantage of an overprinting method which could supply
several drops of ink to the same point on the paper.

I stated that the Photosmart printer produced a reasonable quality
result because of this feature and that I was familiar with this
technology because I had discussions with the software engineers who
wrote the drivers for this printer, and it was explained to me in some
detail how the HP Photosmart system operated.

You then went on to discuss Epson printers, which I was not talking
about, and you stated the reason the colors were not placed upon each
other was because the pigmented inks weren't transparent enough.  So, I
explained that the HP printers I was discussing used dye inks, (other HP
consumer printers use dye inks but pigmented black, but their photo type
printers use(d) only dye inks including the black) which made your point
moot.  It was made further moot because other than the printers I
listed, inkjet printers don't use pigmented ink (other than the black
used in some HP printers), (unless you buy third-party product), but in
the usual fashion, which you always deny you do, you selectively quoted
and misrepresented what I said by both taking my information out of
context, AND addressing a secondary issue as if it was the point I was
trying to make.

Then again, what else is new?

Art

PS: I am still not convinced Epson printers do not print several ink
colors on top of one another, regardless of your microscopic examination
(yes, I do recall) especially the photo CcMmYK color models and
the newer 2880 dpi variable dot types, but I wasn't addressing Epson
printers as to whether they did or not.

And since this is no longer relating to scanners, it will probably be my
last word on this subject.

Austin Franklin wrote:

 >>Others that use pigmented inks, although I wouldn't refer to them as
 >>consumer grade, are the Epson 5500, 7500 and 9500, some of the Rolands,
 >>and some other larger carriage printers. The other Epsons, including the
 >>3000, and even the 870/890 1270/1290 use dyes, although the later were
 >>supposed to be specially designed for longer fade resistance than the
 >>average ones.
 >>

 > The ink technology wasn't the issue, the issue was the Epson printers you
 > mention do not place more than one drop of ink on any one spot...no
matter
 > what their ink technology is...
 >
 > .

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.