Re: filmscanners: Question about Vuescan

If the intent is to reproduce the slide image accurately,  it would seem
to me other than some oddities due to CCD response, (such as the unique
Kodachrome dyes) having a lot of fancy profiles for reversal film
probably isn't that important.

The problem with negative films, besides that you really do not have a
reference image to shoot for in the scanning process, (due to it being a
negative) you also have that darn dye mask to deal with, which not only
provides a base layer of unique color depending upon the film used, but
also has a unique interaction with the colors within the negs (it is
used as a type of masking system to "correct" deficiencies in the nature
of the filtration of light between color layers on the film).  The color
response is not flat across the exposure range.

Although this same problem of uneven color response and cross-color
contamination between color layers occurs with slide films (and more so,
because they do not have the dye masking corrective layers) most people
are happy if they can just "get what's on the slide" to show up in the
scan, so a wide variety of profiles are not really required with slides.

Art