Re: filmscanners: best film scanner for b&w negs

Bill,
Maybe then I'm not understanding you.  If what you are saying is true, then the
25mm sample is not the same
density as the larger format, because of the grain (or more properly, the space
between the grain).

Harvey Ferdschneider
partner, SKID Photography, NYC

Bill Fernandez wrote:-

> So according to your summary of the discussion on the ColorSync list
> they decided that the artifacts being discussed were caused by
> scanner noise in dense areas. Certainly a well-known phenomenon.  I
> on the other hand was referring to an instance where I caught myself
> erroneously attributing the effects of film grain to scanner noise.
> As far as I can tell we were talking about two different things.
>
> --Bill
>
> >At 1:39 PM -0400 23-10-01, SKID Photography wrote:
> >
> >The threads on the colorsync list...
> >The consensus of most was that the grain that was showing up in the
> >dense shadows from the greater
> enlargements (samples) was due to the problem of electronic noise,
> and not, in fact grain...
>
> >Bill Fernandez wrote:
> >...I couldn't understand why
> >  > two targets of equal density on the same scanner could be so
> >>  different; until I inspected both scans closely and realized that the
> >>  25mm target was hugely grainy, especially in the dense end of the
> >>  greyscale.  So what at first I thought was scanner noise turned out
> >  > to be film grain

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.