RE: filmscanners: best film scanner for b&w negs

> You might be interested in the measurements I made on my Nikon IV ED with
> the Stouffer B&W target.  Different curves are obtained with different
> media settings in NikonScan and Vuescan.  0 is the lowest density step on
> the Stouffer which I estimate to be about 0.15 OD. The LS4000 should have
> better results.

Very nice.  I particularly like your converting from 0-255 to scanner
density.  I plan to do the same type of plot with my scanners, but I would
like to add
        a) plot each color and
        b) error bars representing the noise.
I was going to calculate the noise in Photoshop by drawing a box slightly
smaller than each patch and reading off the standard deviation from the
histogram window.  The rest was going to be done in Excel.  Biggest problem
is the time it will take to manually read off all the values.  This would
seem to be an ideal way to compare different scanners and software packages
- at least as far as their dynamic range and maximum useable optical
density.  If I have time this weekend...

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.