Re: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Re: Hello, thanks, and more.

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:49:22 -0400, you wrote:

>> Hold on - thanks to you all, maybe I DO understand this.  If scanned
>> at 72 dpi, even a 4x6 print would need quite a bit of interpolation to
>> get it up to a good screen size, ergo crap.    Is that correct?
>
>No, not interpolation.  Interpolation ADDS data.  Decimation removes data,
>so scanning at 72dpi would remove data...if your scanner is 2700DPI and you
>scan at 72DPI, you are only using 1 for every 37.5 pixels!
>
>Are you scanning prints?

On my flatbed, yes.  Usually at 150 dpi.  But  now with the FS2710
obviously I'm only doing slides and negs, which is what brought up all
these questions.

I guess I'm missing the point here.  If I were to scan even a 4x6
print at 72 dpi, and then want to display it anything larger than
288x432 pixels, wouldn't interpolation be necessary?  Even more with a
slide or a negative?

Ken

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.