Re: filmscanners: Lossless JPEG's? was Hello

"Mark T." wrote:

> TIFF
> - 48-bit, lossless, large files
>
> TIFF with LZ compression
> - As above but files can be much smaller (esp if image is not grainy or
> detailed), eg typically 1/2 to 1/5 original size
>
> JPEG
> - 24-bit, lossy but adjustable.  File sizes often less than 1/5 of the
> uncompressed TIFF (depending on quality setting and image content)
>
> PNG
> - 24-bit, lossless.  File sizes usually a bit smaller than compressed TIFF,
> but not as small as JPEG.
> (PNG's are also readable by most browsers, which makes them useful for
> 'critical' web-display.)
>
> FWIW, I always use TIFF without compression if in any doubt (I have had
> quite a few problems with lack of portability of LZ'd TIFs), and I am now
> moving over to PNG's for my own file storage in order to save CD
> space.  The lack of 48-bit quality hasn't yet been an issue for me..

There a new lossless compression software called 'MR SID', lizardtech software
to very highly compress images.
(www.lizardtech.com)

I have not used it, but have gotten rave reviews from a friend who does
'rarebook/fine library' digital
cataloguing.

Harvey Ferdschneider
partner, SKID Photography, NYC