Re: filmscanners: Hello

Hi Ken, welcome to the list.  A few quick thoughts.

o One strategy is to scan at the highest resolution and highest bits
per pixel once to create a master file with all the possible data you
can capture. This way you can make derivative files at smaller sizes,
etc. and "never" have to rescan the image.

o Do your tone and color correction on this master file, but don't sharpen it.

o When you want to print it downsample it to the appropriate size and
resolution and sharpen it for printing.

o When you want to display it on the web, downsample it to the
appropriate size and resolution, sharpen it for the web, then save as
JPEG with a medium level of compression.

o Save in TIFF in preference to BMP.  Among other things TIFF can
support high bit (e.g. 48 bits/pixel) images, whereas BMP can't.

o The JPEG standard includes a lossless setting.  Photoshop 6
supports it: set the quality level to 12. it will compress to, say,
1/3 of the original size.  JPEG only supports 24-bit images.

o Do a Google search on Charles Poynton.  He's the gamma guru.  Gamma
comes into play in setting up your monitor, ICC profile-based color
management, and tonal correction with with a different twist in each
circumstance.

o VueScan is often spoken well of on this list.

o If you run Windows, look into Picture Window at
http://www.dl-c.com/ for a cheaper alternative to Photoshop that can
manipulate high-bit images.

Have fun,

--bill

--

Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080  *  bill@billfernandez.com  *  http://billfernandez.com