filmscanners: Recommendations for page scanning software

I hope that page scanning is not off topic.  Given the good advice I have
had from the list on using my Nikon LS30, I thought I would try this -

I have a HP6350C flatbed scanner.  I want to use this for scanning company
and personal documents.  I want to be able to save the documents in folders
(e.g. purchase orders) and to have an OCR pass made of each document so
that I can search for documents by included words.

I would also like to be able to back up the scans (and OCR text) to CD-R so
that I am not limited by hard disk space.  I then need to be able to look
at them on CD without restoring to disk.

Caere Pagekeeper came with the scanner.  On paper, this looks as if it
should do most of what I want.  Unfortunately it is the most unresponsive
and unreliable program I have used in many years.  Added to this, I can't
get any response to e-mail enquiries to the company who now own it.

Does anyone have any recommendations ?  Does anyone know what HP are
currently shipping in case I can get an upgrade ?

Thanks,
Mike Bloor

            Seratel Ltd.

       Computer Systems for