filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: Picture Window Pro

Bob wrote:
> BTW, when I contacted JASC about the importance for 16 bit
> support in the next version of PSP, the response was a
> non-committal "thanks for your input."   Maybe there are
> business reasons to be coy now.  An 8 bit PSP 8 won't look
> good -- and that's from a v.2 to v.7 owner.

I've written quite extensively with Kris Zaklika of JASC
about a number of issues such as colour management and
16bit support, but the response is always that they
can't release details of future versions.  Presumably
the reason is that they don't want to promise functionality
that aren't prepared to guarantee.

AFAICS JASC see their market as mainly people who are
making graphics for web or screen use from scratch, and
anything to do with scanned/acquired images is secondary.
With version 7 they introduced a number of features
squarely aimed at the digicam market - where 16 bit colour
doesn't actually matter.  If you look at it that way, it's
not really surprising that they aren't keen to support
16 bit editing.  It would mean a really huge amount of work
for a small part of the market they aim for.

I guess their expectation is that anyone who can afford a
16bit scanner can also afford Photoshop.  That's a big
assumption IMO given the drop in scanner prices, but it's
their call for what their market is.  Disappointing for
me and quite a few other users, because I really prefer
the user interface of PSP to anything else I've tried.

PWP should give me the means to get the best 24bit image
into PSP.  The cost of the two is still *far* cheaper
than PS6.

Rob

PS As far as colour management in PSP went, I was really
interested in support for different colour spaces - PSP
only supports sRGB and ignores embedded profiles.

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.