filmscanners: Please, I need everybody´s opinion

Hi,

My name is Dave and I´d like to ask you for some questions
in order to follow a good scanning protocol.
I´ve bought a Nikon CoolScan 4000ED with Silverfast 5.2
software. I could enjoy scanning only one day, several slides
with Silverfast, NikonScan 3.1 and Vuescan software. I could
see too much differences in colour accuracy with them.
I was thinking to upgrade to Silverfast 5.5 with NegaFIX and
IT8-calibration in order to get the best from Nikon LS-4000ED.
After reading Bruce Fraser review, and seeing the Kodak
workflow ICC Input Profile Builder and don´t know what to do.
I think it would be a good idea to scan my aprox 2000 (slides
+negatives) into RAW format and store them into several DVDs.
I say this because there isn´t an universal program that
matches exactly the colour of your master and neither exposure
and shadow/highlight values. What software is the most suitable?
I got shocked with Silverfast results, impresive colour accuracy
with any effort, I couldn´t find any ICE, ROC or GEM tool.
I scanned with NikonScan 3.1 the same slide and I got the same
results with some minutes of levels adjusting and selecting
accurate shadow/highlight values. I must say that is very easy
to work with this if you´ve spent many hours getting the best
of your Portfolio II PhotoCD disk (forget about Photoshop and
work with PictureWindow 3.x impressive program) Speaking about
PictureWindow 3.0, when I load my untagged TIFF CAMEDIA 2500 images
into Adobe RGB 1998 they are more saturated and when I load them
into a shorter colour space like sRGB, they are much less saturated.
With NikonScan 3.1 are the oposite. I understand the in the middle
of the triangle are the white values and the are lossing white
as they go to the vertex, SO THEY BECOME MORE SATURATED. So for me
broader colour spaces can store more saturated colours than narrower
colour spaces, what I am misunderstanding?
Why NikonScan 3.1 with normal ICE tool, gives you pinsharp pictures
without blurred spots like Vuescan gives you with infrared filter?
Please I´d very pleased if someone could ask me to some of this
questions, or if you know were I could learn a lot about this,
please don´t hesitate to point me out the URL!

Best regards,

Dave

Unofficial Olympus web page
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/byzantium/656/index.html