filmscanners: Cannot open scanned TIFF in Photoshop

Hello list,

I finally got an SS4000 and (after some SCSI trouble) did the first scan.
For the life of me, I cannot get the TIFF saved by Insight to open in
Photoshop.

The file is 108MB big. I have 1GB of RAM. Photoshop 5.5 can use 75%, which
amounts to 690M. I have two scratch disks defined, one has 4GB free, the
other has 55GB free (and that space is defragmented and really unused.) My
windows swap file is 2.5GB large. I still get the error 'Could not open the
document because there is not enough memory (RAM).'

An image scanned at 3000dpi (62MB) would not open, either. One scanned at
2000dpi (27M)opens. PS tells me that this file uses scr: 41M/690M. And: I
can open 4 copies of this 27MB file (amounting to 108MB) without error
message. This just does not make sense!

I even trashed photoshop.ini and the prefs file - no change.

Does anyone have an idea what either I am doing wrong or what's wrong with
photoshop? Or what's wrong with Insight? (Version 5.0.3, just downloaded).

Best regards, Barbara

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.