Re: filmscanners: SilverFast Upgrade Disaster

In a message dated 9/30/2001 11:40:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time, john.hayward.hopco@attglobal.net writes:

Has SiverFast come out with a fix to the ‘Upgrade Disaster’?

I have a Wintel system (PIV 1.4g, Win2k, lots of hard drive space). I held off upgrading when I heard of all the problems, be they installation, IT8 Calibration, etc.

Thanks,

John

By and large, I think they have solved the serial number problems they had when they first announced the 5.5 upgrade.  It's still a problem every now and then, but not like it used to be.

The IT8 calibration problem (software says you haven't cropped the IT8 slide properly, even though you have, and calibration stops) is still a problem for some people, but not for most people.  My problem was cured with the 5.5 upgrade, but I don't know that that would work for everyone.  It did for me.

If you already are already using SilverFast, the 5.5 upgrade should work now worse than what you're using right now and would provide the NegaFix feature which really does help with scanning color negatives.

However, SilverFast is still buggy and hard to use.  For me, SilverFast Ai crashes with large files (500 mb).  Also, the prescan crop box doesn't agree with what actually gets scanned.  SilverFast is still a work in progress.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.