Re: filmscanners: Scanner Buying Dilemma

The Minoltas get so confusing with their names.  The one reviewed, just
to make sure you know one form the other, is the Dimage Multi Pro, which
is the newest medium format model (it also scans 35mm at a very high res
(I believe 4800 dpi).  It also will be considerably more than the
current pricing on the SS4000 (I think the Minolta Multi-Pro will be
about $2000).

The Minolta Dimage Dual is 35mm only, doesn't have ICE or GEM or ROC,
and sells for about $430 US, but having been through a few, based upon
reviews and other owners, it is great if you can get a good one, but so
far, I haven't.

Art

Peter wrote:

> From: "Gregory Georges" (snipped)
> To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
> Subject: RE: filmscanners: Scanner Buying Dilemma
> > But, at the price of the 4000, you just can't go wrong.
> > It is a great scanner and there are lots of helpful users around to answer
> > questions. By the time, you need service on it, you'll be shooting mostly
> > digital anyway, right?
>
> Your opinion makes a lot of sense. I get the idea that I can't really go
> wrong whether I bought the Polaroid, the Nikon or the Minolta scanner. I
> have just printed an 18 page review of the Minolta from
> www.imaging-resource.com that I will be studying later. It is quite a
> positive review based on my quick read of it.
>
> I have so many 35mm and 6x7 negatives and scans that I suspect there will be
> several (well maybe 2 or 3 from the thousands) among those that are worthy
> of being framed once scanned and printed. In the meantime I hopefully will
> have a Nikon D1x (now on order) being put to good use while utilizing my
> many Nikor lenses. Since I have started taking digital pics with my Coolpix
> 990, I have not used my Mamiya 7ll, Nikons or Contax G2. I am not a great
> printer. But, using PS 6.0 and the Epson 1280 I am able to produce much
> better prints up to 11x14 than I had been getting from so-called "custom"
> photo labs. One of these days I will produce a photograph instead of
> "pictures". :-)
>
> Peter

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.