Re: filmscanners: Silverfast or Polarscan

Ian

Initially, I tested out all three software packages with my recently
purchased SS 4000.  The scans I made using Vuescan, after much assistance
from members of this forum, were crisp, sharp, and had colors that were very
close to my slides.  I liked the Silverfast interface, felt it was visually
most attractive and liked the sophistication of its controls.  But, I was
unable to get a crisp, sharp scan.  Not getting that, I didn't pay much
attention to the colors.  On my Mac G4, I used version 5 and also downloaded
and tried the trial version of 5.5.  I faithfully used your tutorial to set
both up.  I found it strange that I couldn't get an acceptable scan.  I very
much would have liked to, and don't understand why I couldn't.  I'd
appreciate any suggestions you have for overcoming the difficulties I
encountered.  Let me know if you need additional information.

> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:05:48 +0100
> To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: filmscanners: Silverfast or Polarscan
>

> As for the SS 4000, go with Vuescan.
>> Using both Polarscan and Silverfast, I got terrible results.
>

> You might wish to try version 5.5. Both Insight and SilverFast will produce
> excellent scans. Insight is VERY easy to use and whilst SilverFast is
> initially quite complex it has the capacity to produce scans from the SS4000
> that VueScan users can only dream about (that's not a criticism of VueScan)
>

> Ian Lyons
>
> http://www.computer-darkroom.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.