Re: filmscanners: Scanner Buying Dilemma

Buy the SS120.  I have one and I like it.  The Nikon is probably a fine scanner if you could find one, but is reported to have problems keeping medium format film in focus at the edges due to the type of light source it uses, which also evidently accentuates dust which means you need to use ICE with it.  You're evidently aware of these differences, so you can make up your own mind on those issues.  As far as Polaroid's financial health, I doubt the company is going to disappear anytime soon.  An as was mentioned in another post, Microtek can repair the Polaroid scanner as they build them for Polaroid.  I don't know anything about the Minolta.  But the Polaroid has been around for a few months now and has a bit of a track record, so I see no reason to look around for something else if you like the Polaroid's features and specifications.

Whatever you get, be aware that files size with medium format film are huge (approaching 600 mb for 6x7 at 48-bit color depth) and you'll need a lot of RAM in your computer to make it work efficiently.