Re: filmscanners: smart sharpening tutorial

Johnny Deadman schrieb:

> Anyone scanning negs may be interested in a 'smart sharpening' tutorial I
> wrote which shows how it is possible to sharpen aggressively without
> introducing noticeable artefacts. The tutorial includes a downloadable
> Photoshop action.

Hi, Johnny,

very interesting! I don't have a PS full version but your approach
seemed promising. So I tried to figure out a way that should work with
several different brands of software, such as Picture Publisher or PSP:

1. Create a copy of the image you want to sharpen

2. Use the "find edges" (or "trace contour") filter on the *copy* as
described

3. Use the "gaussian blur" on the image generated, if you like

4. Use the "magic stick masking tool" on a *white* part of the result

5. Use the "find similar area" or "expand" option until the mask covers
everything you *don't* want to be sharpened

6. Invert the mask/selection

7. Save mask as file or alpha channel

8. Load it into the original picture

9. Use "unsharp mask" on the original with the selection in it.

Seems to work *great* especially to sharpen images with a lot of grainy,
uniform background to them.

Best regards -

Ralf

--
My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net
Find my PGP keys (RSA and DSS/DH) on PGP key servers

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.