Re: filmscanners: Silverfast or Polarscan

Mike

No doubt that the documentation is for hunger.  After recently returning a
Nikon Super coolscan 4000 and buying a SS 4000 with the goal of saving
$1200, I have a basis to compare the two and some advice on how to proceed.
The Nikon software is a pleasure to use, and the documentation, while
sparse, is clear and to the point.  As for the SS 4000, go with Vuescan.
Using both Polarscan and Silverfast, I got terrible results.  Using the
latest version of Vuescan with some help from those on the forum who are
proficient with it, I've gotten great scans with excellent color and detail.
I do wish that the documentation for it was clearer and gave more
information on how to set the various controls.

Martin

> From: "Mike Stephens" <mike1964@flash.net>
> Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 13:20:54 -0500
> To: <Filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: filmscanners: Silverfast or Polarscan
>
> I just received my new SS 4000, and am wondering the same thing.
> Silverfast seems to be pretty powerful, but cumbersome.  How does
> it compare to Vuescan in quality (not just functionality)?  I'm looking
> for the best quality scans, with minimal fuss.  The Polaroid software
> is much easier to use than Silverfast, but doesn't offer nearly the
> amount of functions.
>
> The scanner is great so far - I just need to figure out how to use it
> properly - the documentation is seriously deficient!
>
> Mike

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.