Re: filmscanners: Emulsion flaws (was dust in SS4000)

Owen

I'm sure you're right about the fact that dust is everywhere and instantly
accumulates on any slide.  But I also agree with the view that a good deal
of the spots and crud are embedded in the emulsion, being either intrinsic
to the film or as a result of processing.  All these things together, of
course also including actual dust contribute to the problem.  So those of us
who don't want the spots will either have to go with ICE or spend a good
deal of time removing the spots.  At this point I can no longer say which
method is preferable.  If you have lots of free time, as I do, then it's
possible to work manually so long as you don't have lots of scans to work
on.  It seems to me that anyone who is doing quantity work would be foolish
not to go for ICE.

Martin

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.