Re: filmscanners: Dust in Sprintscan 4000?

At 03:50 AM 9/16/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>I find that if I resist looking at my slides until I have found time to scan
>them then there is very little dust on them. Obviously doesn't help with
>your current slide collection.
>Also keep the scanner covered when not in use and as Roger Miller suggested
>if you only use one slide in the holder at a time there are non waiting
>outside the scanner collecting dust. It's a bit of a pain to work like
>this - but is better than lengthy de-spotting.
>
>Steve

I'm assuming that it is not the act of "looking at" your slides that causes
dust, but the act of taking them out of their original containers. If you
keep them in the containers from your lab until you are ready to scan them,
then there is less opportunity for dust to accumulate. Many people review
them on light tables, etc., and edit prior to scanning. A possible
dust-minimization workflow would be to leave slides in original containers
until ready to scan, then perform bulk raw scans of all slides, putting
them back into the original containers as soon as possible. Then perform
editing and image selection on the computer. The images to be kept can be
pulled out of the slide containers and stored in archival plastic sheets or
whatever you use now. Then, of course, you can delete the computer images
of the slides not kept or you can archive them or whatever.

Stan
Photography by Stan McQueen: http://www.smcqueen.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.