RE: filmscanners: Importance of Copyright on Images

While I generally agree with you on several points in your response to
Harvey, I have to say that screen resolutions right now are way beyond 800 X
600.  I am able to get screen resolutions as high as 1600 x 1200 using some
video cards and a little higher using other video cards.

However, all this discussion about a future which none of us are able to
accurrately foresee or predict does not respond to the points in question
which are concerned with what is happening in the hear and now.  The search
engine people are not concerned with structuring their cautions based on
future possibilities but on current realities; so I doubt if  they would
find such rationalizations very pursuasive when it comes to what they will
or will not include in their search engines.

Moreover, since the search engines merely furnish a low resolution thumbnail
representation of images on other web sites with links to thoe site they are
on, I would think that if a cautionary advisory is to be uesed and is
effective at protecting the images on the sites being linked to that
cautionary advisory should be on the site itself with the image that is
being linked to more than on the serach engine.  Of course, this switches
responsibility back onto the image owner to protect his own images on his
site rather than making the search engine responsible for this task.

As for Harvey's comments concerning fair use and editorial use in connection
with copyright, he does not make it clear if his legal action against TV
news shows or any other media outlet were in Federal or state courts, based
on copyrigth infringement or other state laws concerning appropriation of
images.  If the legal action was brought in state courts it was not for
copyright violation since that can oly be brought in federalcourt in that
the law is a federal statute.  If it was brought in the state courts then
the action was based on state laws which are not technically copyright laws
and the caution that the images are copyrighted would not apply as a caution
aginst the sorts of actions that were being brought in the state courts and
would vary from state to state.