Re: filmscanners: NikSharpener Pro

Brian wrote:
>I find that when I sharpen using Photoshop tools, there is oftentimes an
>artificial
>dark or light line (sharpening artifact) that appears at the juxtaposition
>or boundary of a dark and light area.

This is a result of using too much of the Amount in the UM tool. You have made
the edge transition overshoot (in amplitude) the original levels. A change that
was, say, 150 down to 50 has been overcorrected to maybe 170 to 30, as an
example. The trick with UM is just to steepen the change, but don't overshoot.
The steepness is controlled by Radius, assuming Amount is left constant.

So keep the Radius down. Settings used here range from about 0.8 to 1.5,
depending on the image resolution. Then increase Amount the minimum necessary.
60 - 70% is a typical maximum for me.

Colin Maddock

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.