Re: filmscanners: OT:X-ray fogging

Ron writes:

> How about a third as expensive.

Maybe, but that depends on your destination, and how much does it _really_ cost
to lug film around the world?  In addition, if your film is fogged and ruined,
how much will that cost you?

> I've hauled film around in my carry-on lugage
> for years and to all parts of the world including
> Russa, East Africa, and China and never had a
> problem although sometimes the film was scanned
> eight to twelve times before I got it home.

All it takes is one good blast, and you lose it all.  And before you object that
this isn't likely, keep in mind that it's not likely that any decent local lab
in a developed country will ruin the film, either.

In Russia, East Africa, and China, you might want to bring your own film.  But
then again, in those countries, even bringing your own drinking water might not
be a bad idea.  In countries of Western Europe, Japan, Australia, etc., the
story can be quite different.  When I see people hauling rolls of film to London
or Paris or Osaka, I really have to wonder why they are doing as they do.  It's
like coals to Newcastle.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.