filmscanners: Nikon IV background RGB

I've recently installed a Nikon IV scanner. After some fiddling, it seems to
be working OK, and I'm happy with it so far. Except that when I run the
cursor over the image and into the area of the scan that is outside of the
image (presumably the unexposed film base), the Nikonscan software shows an
RGB reading of 0,0,6. It seems to me that this part of the scan should be
0,0,0. I've found this on a number of images that have been taken at
different times in different situations. I believe that all the images I've
looked at have been Provia 100F.

Has anyone else found this? I tried adjusting the blue analog gain down by
0.06, but this didn't make any difference (I realize this might be a mistake
anyway, but I'm just learning Nikonscan...) If this is a hardware, previous
posts to this list indicate that sending the unit back for warranty service
for something like this is folly. If this is a problem (wouldn't it bias all
the scans toward blue, at least in the darker tones?), what can I do about
it?

Jim Gaa

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.