RE: filmscanners: Sharpness of color chrome vs color negative.

> Ok Austin, You have just openned a can of worms here.  Are we
> talking about
> sharpness as seen through a loup, from a monitor, off a light table,
> photographic print or inkjet print?

Seen through, say, a drum scanner...or a very high end CCD scanner.  Take
every factor out of it you can...so both are on equal footing and only the
ability of the film to retain sharpness is at question here.

> Is the comparison based on
> each coming
> from the same type of source and under the same lighting; or are we
> comparing apples and oranges (e.g., projected chromes or light
> table chromes
> versus reflected light prints)?

Identical images, shot at the same time from the same angles etc.

> I think if you are fishing for a set of
> comparable data and experiences to evaluate you will need to set out some
> very precise standards and conditions under which we are to analyze our
> experiences so as to produce comparable data worth evalauating.

Assuming a very controlled scene, such that the only difference is in the
actual ability of the film to maintain image sharpness.  This SHOULD be a
very very basic question, not related to anything but the film, assuming
both are processed to the highest standards.

> What do people have to say about the differences in sharpness between same
> ASA, same brand chrome vs color negative film?  My experience
> shows that the
> chrome films are not as sharp as the negative films.

OK, Laurie, do you have an answer ;-)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.