filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: Back to Basics

Peter wrote:
> I have done a few tests with my LS-30 using Julian Robinson's method --
> see http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~julian/ls2000-focus.htm

I'll have to try this is I get the time.

>My results:
>*    Mounted slide in Slide Mount Adapter -- OK, all sharply focussed
>*    Strip of film in Film Strip Holder -- OK, all sharply focussed
>*    Strip of film in (motorised) Strip Film Adapter -- parts of film outside
> the zone of sharp focus

Did the focus using the film strip adapter vary depending on where you were
in the strip?  My experience is that the two middle frames of a four frame
strip are well focussed, but the end frames may be fuzzy on which ever side
is the end of the strip.  That's *may* be.  A lot of the time they're ok,
but a couple of things help;

1) Don't scan the film straight after it is processed.  Store the strips
flattened for a while or they will curl too much.

2) Scan the strip as quickly as possible.  The longer it is left in the
scanner, the more that the heat of the scanner will cause the film to curl.
 The quickest way would be to do a batch scan to raw files then crop afterward.
 I don't bother though, I just try to scan a strip as fast as I can.

If you look at the internals of the film strip adapter, the first frame
is curled internally in the adapter by the time you get to frame four.
So this may tend to curl the film more.  The adapter pulls the film all
the way in when you insert the strip to count the frames, so hesitating
too long before scanning frame one will curl it before you begin.  I've
never tried 6 frame strips, but the curl would be worse.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.