RE: filmscanners: Nikon IV test results

>So, some questions Mike:
>
>1. how would you alter my conclusions on my website?
>
>2. which slide films do you think the LS40 has enough DMax for?

The only slide films I've shot in quantity are Kodachrome 64 & Extachrome
(200 & 400), all within the range of DMax (Kodachrome pushes the limit). I
have also shot one roll of GAF (3M or Focal) and the Minolta Dual could
handle it.  Somewhere in my files, I have a box of FujiChrome and
AgfaChrome shot about 20 yrs ago.

>3. your results from Vuescan's Slide setting seem radically different from
>those I got - what gives?

Well your Vuescan's Slides look dark in the shadows.  As you can see from
the graphs, Vuescan's brightness would need to be > 1 (~1.4) to properly
map the 3-OD dynamic range into 8-bit 2.4-OD.  I double checked the
results.

It may be an optical illusion since Slide setting has a much steeper slope
(~8 !) between OD 1.65 and 2.1.  I scanned the same contrasty Kodachrome
slide in Vuescan 7.17 with Brightness 1.4 and both Slide-Kodachrome and
Image setting.  I adjusted levels and curves in PS to make the color
balance match since the Image version was too blue.  I think the Image
version has more continuous deep shadow detail, while Slide has more
brighter shadow detail and looks quantized with less deep shadow detail.
The Slide setting would require multiscan.

>4. will you continue to investigate multi-scanning from Vuescan if you can
>sort out the OD problem you are having?

Yes.  But it's only needed on very contrasty slides.

>5. for scanning slides, is the LS40 better or worse than you were hoping
>for?

It's much better than my Minolta Dual (SCSI). The shadows are obscured by
fog (noise), while the Nikon has much less noise.  The Minolta has a lot of
colored ghosts in high contrast areas when gain is pushed.  The LS40 has
some lense flare when gain is pushed, but it's neutral and not as severe.

So far, I've only tested a few Kodachrome and Kodak Max pictures (I've only
had the  LS40 IV a week).  I've been sidetracked with the Vuescan problem
and trying to improve my MTF measurement.

>My apologies for being completely DUMB.  I never noticed the Kodachrome
>setting in NS during my tests, when I was scanning Kodachrome.  ARGH!!!!
>I'm rather annoyed at that.  Sorry.  Wonder what difference it makes...

Color balance is better. I still found Vuescan a little blue on Kodachrome,
while NS had better default color.

>[rummage]
>
>Hmm, yes, worth it (just) in the shadows - showing slightly less blocking in
>the sample I posted.  Also notably more "yellow" but not horrible yellow.
>Looks brighter, overall and slightly "punchier" i.e. slightly higher
>contrast - though doesn't seem to have blown highlights.  Sorry guys.
>
>Jawed

Mike Duncan

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.