Re: filmscanners: Custom ICC printer profiles

Rob Geraghty wrote:

> "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@ampsc.com> wrote:
> > Tony Sleep wrote:
> > > saturation, contrast). This has worked far, far better than anything
> else :
> > > prints are now as close to the screen image as is possible within the
> > > limits of a different gamut. And it's free.
> > And I thought it was a result of my working with older printers (Epson
> > Stylus Color Pro, Color Pro XL, and 850) that brought me to these same
> > conclusions.
>
> Er.  I wouldn't call the 1200 new.  Even my 1160 is a generation old in
> Epson
> models.  But before we bag Epson completely, I for one get prints I still
> look
> at and boggle that it came from a home printer.  Are they perfect?

I think I am being misunderstood.

Yes, I consider the 1200 a newer printer than what I am using, and in
the more recent grouping, and yes, it would appear that the Epson
drivers still do not have color management worked out within their
drivers (then again working on a WinTel machine, this is not great
surprise, in fact, quite the contrary, if they really worked that would
be a surprise...)

But No, I am not "bagging" Epson printers at all.  I still think that
they produce the best result in their price range. I was simply stating
that I had come to a similar conclusion to Tony's, that being that using
adjustment within the drivers or elsewhere worked batter than using most
color management tools with a PC.

Personally, in spite of all suggestions to the contrary, I have found
with all my Epson printers that I have much better control using CMYK
printing from CMYK source files, allowing for adjustment in the
individual colors ink colors via Photoshop's CMYK ink color correction
menus.  I find I can get much closer results and better black densities
by this method.  This way I can move from one CMYK Ink set-up to another
based upon which printer I am using, since their is variation between
these.

Art

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.