Re: filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: OT: Spam

> Colin asked:
> >Is anyone else receiving much more spam than they used to?

and Rob replied with:
> I've received lots of spam since 1995 because I own a domain name
and my
> email address is (thanks internic) published in the DNS. :(

I really think it depends on your ISP more than anything else.  Some
filter better than others.  I started out on AOL (eek, embarrassing
moment) and received tons of the stuff from the very start.  A little
later, I switched to Mindspring (now Earthlink) and the spam stopped
almost completely.  On AOL I had nothing but an email addy.  On
Mindspring I now have subscriptions to numerous mailing list, several
newsgroups, my own domain name with my email published on DNS, a web
site with my email on it in numerous places, and I use the same email
for registering at a ton of different places, yet I get only a couple
spam emails a month.  The only exception has been the recent
proliferation of code-red mailings.  I've received about 8 or so.
I've been able to almost forget about the rest of it.

on a related note - I've been really surprised at how many
questionable sites I can register at with the following criteria:
name = Bogus User
email = bogus@bogus.com
Of course the password is always bogus too.
Twice I have run into the "user name already taken" error, but most of
the time it goes right through.  I sure would hate to be the guy who
thought he was being slick when he signed up for that domain and email
for real.  ; )

--James Hill
Freelance Photographer
Mebane, NC