Re: filmscanners: Best digital archive medium for scans?

> > PC World (I got my copy just 2 hours ago) has some comments on DVD-RW and
> > DVD-RAM. Not enough info, IMO, but a start. DVD holds a lot of data (up to
> > 14 MB). Down side: if it goes bad, you *lose* a lot of data!
> >
> > AFAICT, there's no clear-cut "winner" for storage--maybe the answer is to

> >> but the DVD-RAM looks like it might not have got very far.

> I agree with Lynn that there are no clearcut winners. However, I am willing
> to hedge my bets and say that the broadest acceptable standard is likely to
> win. To this end, since I am not in a rush, I am willing to wait a few
> months until the DVD+RW format hits the market, read the reviews, then make
> an informed buying decision. For more on DVD+RW, see the following sites:
>
> http://www.dvdrw.com/
> http://www.sony.co.jp/en/Products/DataMedia/products/DVD_plusRW/index.html

I believe the DVD-R, DVD-RW will be the winner.

Reasons:
- The DVD-RAM used to be with Mac, but now it's the DVD-R.
- DVD+RW is from Sony & Philips, but seems Betamax II, even Sony is now
incorporating CD-R/RW DVD-R/RW real SuperDrive in their top line of Vaio.
(Maybe only in Japan now)
- Sony is shipping PCVA-DRW1 external 1394 real SuperDrive that is CD-R/RW and
DVD-R/RW in one. (Maybe only in Japan now)
- Apple & Sony are HeavyWeights.

For 120 film at 4000dpi @48bit, you have to select one the DVD-???, so help
please:

The said Sony PCVA-DRW1 is arround USD600 in Japan but not sure. Before I get
one, does someone happen to know if there is any 3rd party software driver for
it both on Mac & Win so I can have such real SuperDrive for both my platforms?
According to Sony it only supports Sony VAIO pcs.

BTO your Mac G4, get the Sony, buy the software, you have two SuperDrive for
the price of one (and the Mac's don't do DVD-RW), I believe many have both Mac
& Win on the list. That seems to be the solution for me now.

JM Shen

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.