From: TonySleep@halftone.co.uk [mailto:TonySleep@halftone.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2001 12:18 PM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: RE: filmscanners: Supra 400 shadows

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 11:44:30 -0700   Paul Chefurka
(Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com) wrote:

> I have the exact same problem with Supra 400 - red and green speckles in
> the shadows.  Like you, I can't get them to disappear without blowing
> away a lot of shadow detail.  I don't know if a drum scan would solve
> this or not - I've seen the same problem on both my SS4000 and my new
> LS-4000, so I have my doubts.

This is likely to be grain aliasing. Where exposure is slight, there aren't
many dye clouds (grains), and if they are of a size to alias individual
pixels or small groups, false colour is the outcome.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons