Re: filmscanners: Scanning and memory limits in Windows

Two of the suggestions amount to not installing your new memory - pretty
dumb suggestions.

So I'd definitely use:

"Use the MaxFileCache setting in the System.ini file to reduce the maximum
amount of memory that Vcache uses to 512 megabytes (524,288 KB) or less."

Further I would suggest the bigger the file cache becomes the less efficient
it becomes and in single user workstation environment it is likely to just
hog lots of memory for little benefit. In your position I'd set it to about
2x your largest scan size (about 60Mb LS-30) + about 20Mb extra =  140MB.
This will leave a minimum 600Mb for your applications.

So convert to Kb 140 x 1024 = 143360 and add immediately under the line
"[vcache]" in system.ini

MaxFileCache=143360

You may like to try a little smaller or larger cache size to see if it is
any better. The thing to consider is how you work. If you regularly re-open
multiple files you have just closed then you may do better with a larger
setting. Conversely if you never close files and immediately reopen them
then smaller may be better but I wouldn't go below one big scan of cache as
you always benefit from having enough file cache for the file output. This
allows you to continue working in the shortest possible time when you save a
file. If you save from Vuescan and then open in PSP then this will also come
straight from the memory cache provided you have not done anything else in
between and PSP is already open.

You may also wish to consider setting "MinFileCache" to try to ensure that
the last big file is always available from cache. After all PSP should be
happy with 600Mb. Some people set MinFileCache to the same value they set
for MaxFileCache so their machine does not waste it's time memory managing
the cache. This is a dangerous policy on a low memory  machine but with
600Mb to spare it is unlikely to cause you a problem.

Steve