Re: filmscanners: OT: Copyright on Photo's

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:44:51 -0600  Frank Nichols
(frank@theNichols.net)
wrote:

> My question is: "Can I scan them, and display a small picture of them
on
> eBay for advertising without violating the copyright of the original
> photographer?"

Strictly speaking no, but Sothebys, Christies etc would be out of
business
if anyone took any notice of this. In UK at least, copyright damages
are
usually limited to the consequential loss to the copyright holder, and
in
such instances that is zero. If anything it does their reputation good,
as
a free ad., so nobody is likely to object.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner
info