RE: filmscanners: Scanning Mechanisms

> Clearly the film has to be in SOME kind of carrier,
> whatever the scanner brand.  Austin's Leaf uses
> aluminum carriers (Beseler) but all the scanners
> I've owned have plastic-molded film holders of
> varying complexity.  Frankly, I feel a bit more
> comfortable with my negatives up against plastic
> than against metal.

I've thought about that...but you know, those carriers have been the staple
of high end darkroom work for over 30 years!  I'm hard pressed to believe
this is actually an issue.

Also, the "unmentionable" scanner does move the film, but the transport is
internal to the scanner, and not exposed to the "elements".  The carrier
slides in, and clips on to the transport.

As an FYI, since the "unmentionable" scanner is 10+ years old, one of the
maintenance items is greasing the lead screws.  Of all the problems people
have had with the "unmentionable" scanner, the greasing of the lead screws
has fixed quite a few of them.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.